Adding access to your product enables you to easily charge your students. There are different types of access types that can be added to a product. Each access type is designed to enable you to run your teaching business effectively with a broad global reach.
LearnDesk enables you to add the following access types to your product:
- One-Time Payment: The One-Time Payment access is used when you want to charge a one-time cost to the student.
- Subscription: Subscription access is used for recurring payments for products. For example, you are selling a set of maths assessments, which you update on a yearly basis and also charge for them on a yearly basis. Using Subscription access you can easily set this up. Subscription access enables teachers to improve the predictability of payments. By enabling automatic recurring payments, teachers can get paid as per a set schedule without having to wait for cheques to be collected and cashed or deal with cash. Subscription access can substantially increase the lifetime value of their customers.
- Payment-Plan: Payment-Plan access can be used for higher-priced products, which enables the buyer to pay the larger amounts as smaller parts over a period of time.
- Free: The Free access type is used by teachers who are setting up a new product, testing the market, and do not want to charge their students. Teachers typically use free access to engage their students and help them experience their offerings. This eventually helps the teachers to funnel the students into their paid products.
- Enrollment: Enrollment is used by teachers to enroll students in their classes.
Once you have created your product and added the basic information about your product, it's time to set the access for the product. To edit the access for a product that you have already created, navigate to the list of Products for your School, click on the product that you want to edit, and then click on the "Access" tab.
How to add Access Type
Following are the fields that you would be required to complete while adding access:
- Currency: The currency in which you want to set the access.
Price: The price at which the student will buy the product. The below image shows how the "Price" shows on the sales page of the product.
- Multiple License Price: Set the price offered to purchase more than one live class. The value has to be less than the 'Price' value, typically 90% of the 'Price.'This field helps offer attractive pricing to users such as schools or organizations, which may require multiple licenses.
Compare at Price (optional): Original price for the product. You should typically set this to be 125% of the price. This enables LearnDesk to show a discount you are offering on the product's sales page. The below image shows how the "Compare at Price" is used to show a discount on the product's sales page.
Billing Interval: This field applies only to access of the type Subscription and Payment-Plan. This field specifies how often you want to charge the student. The image below shows how the "Billing Interval" shows on the product's sales page.
Number of payments: This field is applicable only for access to the type Payment-Plan. This field specifies the number of payments you want to receive as part of the Payment Plan. The image below shows how the "Number of Payments" shows on the product's sales page.
Access period: This field only applies to pricing of the type One-Time Payment and Payment-Plan. This field specifies the time period for which the student can download the product file.
- Trial Period (optional): This field applies to the access of the type 'Subscription' and 'Payment Plan'. This field allows you to offer a promotional access period for your class.
Refund Policy (optional): This field allows you to set the refund policy for your class.
- It is required to add at least one access type for a product - Free, One-Time Payment, Subscription, and Payment Plan.
- The teacher can add pricing types: Free or a combination of One-Time Payment, Subscription, and Payment Plan.
- Teachers are required to set the pricing of your product in USD. However, this condition is not applicable if the price of the product is Free.
- The minimum price that you can set for a product is USD $3.0 or its equivalent in other currencies.
Add One-Time Payment Access
From the access page of the live class, select "One-Time Payment" as the access type. Select the "Currency", and input the "Price," "Multiple License Price," and "Access Period". Next, click on the "Add" button. You can add access in additional currencies by changing the currency.
The Access Type should show in the access table of the product.
Add Subscription Access
From the access page of the live class, select "Subscription" as the access type. Select the "Billing Interval," select the "Currency," input the "Price," and "Multiple License Price." Next, click on the "Add" button. You can add access in additional currencies by changing the currency.
The access should show in the access table of the product.
Add Payment Plan Access
From the access page of the live class, select "Payment Plan" as the access type. Select the "Billing Interval," input the "Number of Payments," select the "Currency," and input the "Price," "Multiple License Price" and "Access Period." Next, click on the "Add" button. You can add access in additional currencies by changing the currency.
The access should show in the Access table of the product.
Multiple Prices Per Product
For any product, teachers have the ability to define multiple prices. Teachers can achieve that by combining one or more of the access types which include Subscription, One-Time Payment, and Payment Plan. This can be further enhanced by offering the same product at different prices in different currencies.
Adding multiple prices for a product gives teachers the ability to let the student pick an option that works for them. This increases conversion rates and revenue for the teachers.
Students can choose from one of the multiple access options during checkout.
Multiple Prices Per Product - Billing Intervals
For Subscription and Payment-Plan access types, you can set prices per billing interval. For example, you can set yearly, monthly, and weekly Subscription prices for the same product.
Following is how the pricing with multiple billing intervals for a specific currency will show on the sales page.
Students can click on the price down to access an option from other billing intervals offered.
The order of display of the billing intervals for a specific currency can be changed using the sort handle. For example, you want to show the yearly pricing as the first option, followed by monthly and then weekly. To do so, click on the drag handle for the respective access and move it up or down.
Following is how the updated billing intervals show on the sales page of the product. In the example below, yearly pricing is now showing as the first option that the student can select.
Drop down arrow
The students can click on the drop-down arrow which shows the option of the access period, billing interval, automatic refund, and refund policy.
Teachers can specify access in 25 currencies, including USD, EUR, GBP, AUD, INR, etc. The product's sales page checks the user's location (country) and displays the access in the respective currency. This automatic currency-to-country matching makes it easy to capture international revenue by enabling students to pay in their local currency. It also decreases the cost for the student by preventing currency conversion charges from being applied by their bank/credit card.
To take advantage of Currency-based access, the teacher needs to add access in each of the respective currencies. We recommend teachers use currency conversion software like xe.com to calculate prices for all supported currencies.
Students are automatically shown the access set for their local currencies. As an example, a student in the US will be shown prices in USD on the sales page.
However, a student for the same product in Australia will be shown the prices that are set in AUD on the sales page.
Automatic Currency Conversion
For the supported currencies, LearnDesk automatically converts the price of the product to the local currency if the price of the product is not specified for the given country/currency. This automatic conversion is applicable only for the One-Time Payment access type. For Subscription and Payment-Plan access types, the student will be shown the pricing in USD.
For example, if the student is located in Australia, and the accessfor the product is set in AUD, the student will be shown the price for the product in AUD. As compared to that, if the access of the product is not set in INR (Indian Rupee), and a student from India visits the sales page of the product, they will see the following prices:
- One-Time Payment: They will be shown the INR equivalent of the USD One-Time Payment pricing.
- Subscription: They will be shown the USD Subscription pricing of the product.
- Payment Plan: They will be shown the USD Payment Plan pricing of the product.
If the currency is not among the list of supported currencies, the student will be shown the access in USD on the sales page.
You should continue to save the pricing, as you keep making changes. The "Save" button is located on the bottom right of the screen. You can also save using the keyboard combination CTRL+S on Windows and ⌘+S on Mac.
You can preview the changes made to the pricing tab by clicking on the "Preview" button. Preview enables you to view the sales page of the product and the pricing information from the student's perspective. The pricing will be shown as per your current location. Currently, it is not possible to view the prices in other currencies in preview mode. For example, if you are located in India, you will be able to see the pricing only in INR for your product, in the preview mode.
The "Preview" button is located on the bottom right of the screen.